Monday, November 16, 2009

Hannah learns about sewing.

I bought Hannah a warm coat at The Big Fat Greek Flea Market. Ok, it wasn't really called that. A private school run by the Greek church had a flea market complete with food vendors selling fried octopus and all sorts of goat cheeses and other exciting Greek things. But this coat is navy blue and not very feminine, kind of ugly. I lopped some pompoms off an old scarf and sewed them on the hat and everyone was very satisfied with the new look. Hannah was mystified at the idea that I sewed though. She has been begging to learn ever since.





So the other day I showed her just a little about sewing. I know very little. But I can get fabric to stick to other fabric using thread and a needle and that's enough to get the job done most of the time.



I remember when I was very little and Mom showed me how to sew. She taught be some basics and we practiced on some scraps. Then we took a nap. I was too excited to sleep and I snuck back over to the sewing basket and started creating. I got out this doll dress and adorned it with buttons, zigzags, and a Muppet nose. I thought it was gorgeous! Mom kept that thing forever. I wonder where it is now.

1 comment:

  1. Precious photo--so serious. She is so much like you. JoJo is also wanting to know about sewing. Mom has a sewing machine, still in the box. I hope to have it set up for her by spring. Hannah may be ready to give lessons by then!

    ReplyDelete