Monday, October 19, 2009

Target

I wanted to tell you about the Target at Atlantic Center. I looked for some websites to link. There's one that gives a great picture of life at the AC Target, but it's got a big giant Brooklyn word in the name of the website. I just can't link to it. But everything they say about it is true.

So this Target is like nothing I've ever seen before. It has two levels and a special escalator for the carts.



But the escalator doesn't take the stroller up. So we take the biggest elevator I've ever seen.



So here's the deal with the Target. The employees seem like they are more interested in socializing than working. You hardly ever see just one Target worker bee. They run in packs and they gossip about whoever's missing from the herd. There was one guy who wanted to talk loudly to whoever would listen about "nationality" and how it's no good for these parents to try to make their kids keep their old country's culture. They're in America now. They are going to act American. He doesn't act Dominican. He's an American. I am just at a loss as to why he thinks I came to Target to discuss this with him. I just want to find a light bulb. Can he help me? I see why the herd employees are hiding from him.

And they swear at each other and talk about how they told the manager what he could do ... I saw this one lady carrying on about the new registers and how she banged her elbow on them and she wanted the old registers back. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You think they are going to go find the old registers and bring them back for you? What's easier to replace? A bank of cash registers or an employee who apparently has no peripheral vision. Later, I saw her running around with a bandage and they let her push the carts around.

But I love Target. I don't care that it's messy and I have to stand in line at the registers. It's still Target! If I need something, I look there first. And I've been there enough that I know how to avoid the employees who have left the herd and I know which herd of employees is most likely to be helpful if I need assistance. It's still better than hunting through multiple hardware stores for something. And most of the time, I can maneuver the stroller through all the aisles, which is more than I can say for any hardware store I've ever been in.

1 comment:

  1. the other Amber in BrooklynOctober 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

    Ha! I know the website - it's a friend of mine. They did a four part hidden camera expose on it, until they got caught.

    Isn't it awful?! I've stopped going - I wait until I'm in the suburbs visiting friends. I can't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete